posted to rec.boats.electronics
Chuck Tribolet

Default what is dsc?

It's CPV350, not CVP350.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/index...3&isArchived=0

I found it no sweat on SH's website.

"Ted" wrote in message .net...

"Pascal" wrote in message oups.com...
Thank You very much. I know the diference betwen the two (DSC and AIS)
, but I am not concerned with distress comunications with others ships
or coast guards, but am looking for AIS to get the ships information to
avoid any potential colision danger and for fun in the sea. Praticaly,
here in Brazil, DSC do not exist, and here the so called Coast Guard
does not exist either, only a very few of the navy ships and some
airplanes (all obsoletes, without AIS) do to surveilance os the imense
brasilian coast (about 3,000 nm), so a mayday in the sea is almost a
null attempt.

"DSC and AIS use almost exactly the same digital
modulation/demodulation
technology so the R&D money spend on either system to adapt existing
analog
radio designs to digital modulation benefits the other"

Exactly, why do not include (combine) an AIS Modem (Chanel 87/88) and
the AIS software into the recent launched Standard Horizon
CVP350VHF/DSC radio/plotter, for example?

Regards

Pascal

I couldn't find information concerning a standard horizon model cpv350 anywhere on the net. I suspect that the problem is the
display firmware. Manufacturers such as standard horizon already make GPS chart plotters that can handle one or a few waypoints
from a DSC receiver but I suspect that their firmware in the display cannot handle the hundreds of complex waypoints that would
come flooding in from an AIS decoder. The display firmware will need to be significantly enhanced to show not only lat and lon but
the direction the ship is pointing and the speed of the ship.