posted to rec.boats.paddle
kayak4pie

Default whitewater guide slang

Riverman:
I'm looking for language that reveals the culture of river guides. The
technical stuff is easy, since I know it from being a kayak instructor.
It's the colloquialisms and nicknames and words and phrases that
clients/punters/flatlanders wouldn't necessarily hear or "get" if they
did hear it.
I've spoken to guide friends on the Kern and have a few replies from a
post on BoaterTalk.com's forum, but I'm looking for more of what you've
mentioned -- nicknames, colloquial names for things, and I really like
your 'fligged to rip' saying.
Thanks for whatever you can give me. It's an essay so I am not quoting
anyone if they don't want to be quoted. It's more a compilation,
explanation, and spotlight on guide culture.
PS: I also tell friends to eddy out when walking places and need to
consult a map or regroup for whatever reason.