Gary

Default Boat Broker Question ...

wrote:
I do not feel differently.
Same thing happened to me.
Another classic is the offer scenario.
The following technique works wells.
A boat's real price is around $50,000. The broker is asking $85,000 and is
fishing for about $65,000. You know he is way out to lunch. You like the
boat but you hesitate to make an offer of $50,000. because you might insult
the seller/broker. You request to sea trial the boat. The broker states
that he need a firm offer before a sea trial can take place. You then
decide to make an offer of $60,000. The broker tells you that your offer
is too low and make you feel a little cheap. Later the broker comes in with
a counter offer of $75,000. You tell him that it is too high, then he tells
you to make another offer. Then you both agree to go half way to
$68,500.00. At that stage you feel happy because you negotiated the price
from $85,000. to $68,500. Conversely the seller/broker is please to have
sold a $50,000. for $68,500. and the seller does not mind to paid the broker
his commission.
The above scenario may vary but the game remains the same. I hope that
other people will validate or disagree with the above.

I agree. I think this same general pattern can applied to anyone who
sells something for someone else looking to make money as the middle man
with nothing invested himself except time. Real estate agents, car
salesmen etc.

I guess there is a requirement if you know nothing about what you are
looking for. For example, if I was moving to some city I had never
visited and needed a place to live. But if I'm moving down the street
or to a small town then what does the agent do?

Like I said earlier, I firmly believe the best (used) boats never get to
a broker. That is why dock walking is the sport of kings!

Gary