Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

Default Boat Broker Question ...

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:29:49 GMT, wrote:

You know he is way out to lunch. You like the
boat but you hesitate to make an offer of $50,000. because you might insult
the seller/broker. You request to sea trial the boat. The broker states
that he need a firm offer before a sea trial can take place. You then
decide to make an offer of $60,000. The broker tells you that your offer
is too low and make you feel a little cheap.

My employer once sent me to an expensive class on negotiating. There
are 3 points that still stand out for me after 20 years. First, NEVER
be embarassed by your offer. It's business, not personal, and the
economic value of a thing is what that thing will sell for, not what
the seller wants. Second, if 2 people are negotiating and one of them
is under a deadline (even a self-imposed one), that person will almost
always lose, all other things being equal. Finally, as long as you
are willing to walk away from the deal, you keep your power.

Other than that, it comes down to knowing the market..

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/