Lloyd Sumpter

Default Is sailing becoming extinct?

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:50:11 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

The Washington State Department of Licensing just released sales statistics for
new boat sales between July 1, 2002 and June 30, 2003

The numbers are bleak, as one might expect in a state with one of the highest
unemployment rates in the nation, but one category is absolutely scary.
Sailboats.

Interesting stats, Chuck!

I note esp. that the biggest category for sailboats was 23-26ft - I
would have guessed over 30.

As for "why", again interesting question. I've noted for years that
sailboats were notable in their almost complete absence in boat shows.
Yet, most boats you see ON THE WATER are sailboats (salt water - not
including runabouts, skiffs, etc). Certainly a MUCH higher percentage than
Chuck's figures show.

I think it's there's less incentive to buy a new sailboat (as opposed
to used) than a new powerboat. A 10 or 20 year old sailboat is still very
serviceable: you might want to buy new sails, or touch up the paint. A 10
year old powerboat will probably need a $20K engine rebuild or
replacement.

Me, I'm keeping my sailboat, and replacing the engine to make it into a
decent powerboat as well! After all, it's only 20 years old...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36