MMC

Default Boat Broker Question ...

I'd like to add that you should get a survey before leaving a deposit, even
though you may be pushed by a broker to "move fast". We found a boat we
really liked and fell for the "got 2 other people interested" bull**** from
the broker and left our 10%. Live and learn.
(A great thing about surveyors is that they give you the news, good or bad,
whereas we might overlook too many "little things" because we are already
(in our minds) sailing the deep blue on our beautiful boat!)
After many problems were identified by the surveyor, we pulled our offer the
day before the deadline. The broker informed us he was holding our deposit
as the seller was considering legal actions, even though our retraction of
our offer had been in compliance with the contract.
I visited the broker in his office with his boss present and explained that
my next stop was to my lawyer's office and the broker's boss would be
sitting in the defendants seat WHEN we went to court.
The boss stumbled all over hisself returning my deposit.
Not all brokers are honest, some just seem to be stupid.
MMC

"Jeff" wrote in message
Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Lately, I have been in contact with a number of boat brokers. Is it

just
me, but these people seem sleazy. They have a listing, they represent

the
buyer [ and themselves ]. They stand to make money if a sale goes

through
yet they don't seem to know much, nor do they want to do much. If you

ask
them something about a boat, they say "get a survey". In most cases,

they
have never been on the boat, not have they ever seen the boat.

You should ask the folks on alt.sailing.asa what they think of their
resident "broker" capt rob.

Surveys are fine, but they can cost hundreds of dollars.

Surveys are required, period. You might even plan on rejecting a few
boats after survey, depending on what you're after.

I don't know,,, maybe is me but I really think boat brokers are a

dishonest
bunch.

real estate, cars, yachts ... they're all the same profession. Most
are honest, but their job is to figure out how much you have in your
pocket and make sure you leave 99% behind and walk out thinking you
got a bargain.

Its your job to know what you want.

What are your thoughts.

Jasper