posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

Default US Poor Olympic Showing

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
news
"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
.net...

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
nk.net...
A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big
enough to take it all away.
Barry M. Goldwater

A supremely brilliant man, Goldwater. None, sadly, have come close
since.

Do you know Goldwater also said:

"I haven't really got a first class brain"

His brilliance was that he relied on principles to guide him and was
remarkably consistent in applying them, especially in the world of
politics. Reagan, too, was guided by principles, also lacking "a
first class brain".

Men with first class brains, such as Bill Clinton, John Kerry and
Hillary Clinton are completely devoid of consistent principles and
lack the tools necessary for true leadership. They rely on cunning to
get them to the next step.

Goldwater was the greatest. I have two autographed photos of him here
at my desk as well as other memorabilia. I even have a "Goldwater for
President" bumper sticker on my truck.

I wish another one like him would come along.

Another did--Dan Quayle--who, too, did not have a first-class brain,
and he paid for it many times over.

Upon receiving a can of "Goldwater" from an ardent supporter, he
tasted it and said:

"This tastes like ****. I wouldn't drink it with gin!"

Only once in several lifetimes...

Only once in *our* lifetimes, sadly. You are right about principle vs.
brilliance + cunning. I'll take principle any day. Bush has neither.

Max

Max,

You're a good man. I owe you a few beers.

I like Dan Quayle and wished he ran for President, I would have easily
voted for him. When Clinton was elected, he actually said that if
Clinton would do what he said he would do, things wouldn't be so bad. To
actually think for himself and not toe party line shows he has guts.

Quayle was another victim of the liberal smear. His Senate colleagues,
some on the left side of the aisle, were known to praise him for being
consistent and true to his principles. He was a very poor
speaker--hesitating, mispronouncing words, using occasional words
inappropriately--but he was a pragmatic conservative who never wavered
from his beliefs in order to please anyone. It's tragic that a young man
of principle should be discarded, while the slick politician with no
detectable principles pleases the electorate sufficiently to be elected.
I guess we get what we deserve.

You don't owe me any beer, but I'd enjoy sitting down with you and
drinking a few.

Max

Here's a toast to Dan Quayle.

It's funny, those most ill suited to be politicians are generally the best
fit to hold elected office.

Ever hear of Ron Paul of Texas? Even Joe has never heard of him.

http://www.house.gov/paul/

Not before now, but I signed up. Looks like interesting reading.

Max