posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jim Cate

Default Beneteau 39', Wandering?

Anyone sailed a Beneteau of this class? How did it handle?

Jim

Jim Cate wrote:

I sailed three days this weekend on a Beneteau 39, approximately 1988
model, in winds of around 20-25kts, and I was somewhat surprised that
the boat seemed to wander about from port to starboard on anything
approaching a close reach. It doesn't have a full keel but does have
a spade rudder, etc. Has anyone else had experience with the
Beneteau's of this era, and were you satisfied with it's handling and
sailing characteristics? We were offshore in some pretty high,
breaking waves, but I would have thought that the boat would handle
them better than it did. Since it is a french boat, we did enjoy
some french bread and wine with our steaks (after returning to port).

Jim