posted to rec.boats.building
bowgus

Default Can cooling water be to cold on a Mercruiser

The raw ater cooled engine has a thermostat, same as an automobile
engine, that will control the temperature of the water running through
the motor. The thermostat is low compared to say a closed system engine
.... around 140 F or so (?) ... and that's because if the water is too
warm, it'll dump the salt out ... and that would be bad for the engine.

OT: I myself would never buy a used I/O sight unseen ... there are just
too many things that could be wrong ... bad risers, and on, and on, and
on.