posted to rec.boats.building

Default Can cooling water be to cold on a Mercruiser

I am buying a used boat from Stony Point, NY. It has a Mercruiser V8
5.0 with 190 HP with 300 hours on it.
I live in Greenland. An island in the arctic region east of Canada
where the seawater temperature is around 36-37 F degrees. And thatīs
where there might be a problem. I am told that the motor is "use" to be
cooled of with warmer water temps around the more southern part of the
world. And when I get the boat and the motor is cooled down with
seawater that is 36-37 F degrees then it migth not run smooth anymore
or develop somekinda problem. Is this story a myth or is there
something to it? And if the story is right how can i prevent any
problem with the motor. I cannot install fresh water cooling system as
it is too late for this motor because it has already 300 hours of
seawater cooling I am told.
Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanx
jens erik
Nuuk
Greenland