Peter Bennett

Default Cautionary advise to Consumers/Dealers/LARRY

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:40:43 -0500, Larry wrote:

Ryk wrote in
:

Or, of course PAN PAN if the situation is "urgent" but has not yet
become a matter of "distress". If I was taking on enough water to make
me worry I couldn't keep up with it I would skip the SECURITE.

Ryk

If my feet were wet and I couldn't stop it rising, I'd skip all this 1930's
radio crap and trip the 406 EPIRB to get some help out there, fast. That's
what it's for, ya know!....

I'll talk to 'em on the radio when they call me to check on the EPIRB
emergency...after they've scrambled the choppers and fast boats...thanks.

A "Mayday" call on Channel 16 should get immediate response from
nearby boaters, and from the Coast Guard, and potential rescuers will
know that they can talk to you to confirm position and other details.

My understanding is that it may take 30 minutes to two hours for an
EPIRB signal to be picked up by the satellites, passed to an earth
station, then eventually sent to the appropriate Coast Guard station
(who will then probably do a "Mayday Relay" broadcast on 16).

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca