posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len Krauss

Default WGS84 vs. NAD83

No, Dennis, nothing embarrassing found. Was just waiting for more input from
everyone.

I was beginning to wonder if magnetic variation could possibly have
something to do with the position discrepancy. My GPS is set to
automatically adjust for it. I've downloaded for my Capn software the latest
magnetic variation data table. I concluded, however, that variation would
only influence magnetic heading displayed, and not lat/lon. In other words,
it has nothing to do with the problem. Does that sound right?

The only other thing I can think of is that chart datum and GPS datum need
to be in agreement. Chart is NAD83 and with GPS set to NAD83, position
error unchanged. Same with GPS set to WGS84. Datum is the only kind of
"calibration" possible, as far as I know.

Len

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.

Len is keeping very quiet since his original posting. Has he found

something
embarrassing, and doesn't wish to tell us?