Ernie

Default New boat hull treatment

I bought a new boat last summer and had its bottom painted to keep algae
from sticking but no one ever told me of applying a barrier coating. Should
I be concerned? The boat is in the water from mid May to the end of
September.

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
Assuming you are going to leave the boat in the water all the time, you

need
two things done:
1. Barrier coat to keep the hull from absorbing water.
2. Bottom paint to keep algae from sticking to the hull.

Check w/ the marina you plan to keep the boat at, they can tell you who

does
this service in your area. If you don't do the barrier coat, the hull

will
blister. Only way to fix this is to have the hull stripped to the bare
fiberglass, redone, and new barrier coat installed. Not a cheap
proposition.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Richard" wrote in message
om...
I am taking delivery of a new 36' regal in late april.
Does anyone have any opinion has to the best way to treat the
hull upon arrival?
Wax it once twice?
Seal it with teflon?
Use one of the newer fiberglass only polishes like Nautical Ease?
Do nothing?
Something completely different?

Rich S.