posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default Is Bombardier selling the Evinrude line off ?

"Butch Davis" wrote in
k.net:

Obviously I have no axe to grind over the final engine choice you
make. I own no stock in BRP. You were seeking information and got a
what I personally know as a FICHT owner for the past eight years.
There are NO out of the ordinary FICHT issues. On the used market
there may well be some FICHTs for sale which were not factory updated
when that service was offered. I believe the 150 and 175 HP early
FICHTs had problems requiring updates and sometimes new power heads.
ETECs have been performing more or less faultlessly from day one.

Horse****....company horse****. It STILL requires very expensive lube
oil and specially-indexed spark plugs to keep the blowtorch injection
from eating the head off them. It's STILL A FICHT!, no matter who owns
the company at the moment or what their ad agency contract says.

http://parts.evinrude.com/OIL%20WEBSITE/home.html

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/ficht/

(sarcasm ON)
What surprises me is why Chevy and Ford haven't abandoned 4-stroke
engines and put Ficht or Optimax engines in the cars! They use less
fuel, require almost no maintenance and are just wonderful to own! We'll
probably all be driving Ficht Hondas and Fords by 2010 with such
wonderful technology....(c;
(sarchasm OFF)

Now, let's look at a little reality looking forward from today:

1) They're all ABANDONING 2-STROKE ENGINES.

2) With the abandonment certain, why would anyone buy a 2-stroker noone
will admit they ever made, say, 3-5 years from today? Where's the parts
going to come from, blown powerheads which are abundant?

I'm with the poster....get the 4-stroker....

Ficht - a bad patch to a bad idea....