Thomas Wentworth

Default Boat Broker Question ...

Roger,,, before I jump at the first boat, I will look at as many boats as
possible. Remember, it is winter up here in the great white north.
Looking at boats that are covered with shrink wrap is not so easy. Also,
while I know what I want there are numerous versions of that style boat.
And one more thing ... it is fun looking at boats. I have learned so much
in just the short time I have lurked here. The internet is a University of
Marine Education. Thanks to all the posters, who post about just about
everything and anything, I am a much more informed buyer. A smart buyer is
not an impulsive buyer.

ps.. have you been to the Titanic memorial in New York City. I stumbled
upon it one day. I believe it is on the east side of Manhattan.

[[[[

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Thomas (or is it Jasper as I see in your first post that started this
thread),

Buying even a modest cruising boat and turning it into a safe, reliable,
and going concern is a complex and expensive process. Certain personality
traits have a lot of bearing on the outcome because doing it successfully
covers a wide range of sills. Many of them are not technical. Dealing with
the broker (who works only for the seller and has a legal duty to
represent only the seller's interests), surveyors, boatyards, etc.,
productively involves interpersonal skills and business sense that are
often at odds with the impulses that make people want to get far out in a
small craft away from society. There is a lot that can go wrong so
patience and reasonableness are vital.

I'm always very interested in the human factors. What small insight I've
gained from your posts makes me absolutely fascinated to see if you ever
actually get a boat and start cruising in it. I hope you will continue to
keep us informed of your progress and post some pictures somewhere when
you close the sale.

--

Roger Long