posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default NW freeze

JR North wrote:
And just in time for the, what...75% increase in NG prices. Now THAT'S
what I call planning. Gonna be an expensive log....
How much does it use, say full tilt per hour?

JR

At current Natgas prices, it will cost about $1 an hour to burn. If
those prices double, it will cost $2. Firewood or Prestologs probably
cost more, burn dirtier, pollute the air to a greater extent, etc. If
we run the log more than 4-5 hours per week in the winter I'd be
surprised.

One of the best advantages of this gizmo is you can have a fire for
highly defined periods of time. We turned it on and sat next to the
hearth with a couple of glasses of Pinot Noir and talked for about half
an hour this evening. When we were done, we simply turned it off. Will
come in handy when we need to leave the house and would otherwise be at
least slightly nervous about leaving a fire burning.