Jeff

Default Porta-Bote Oars' security

I'm a little surprised you got oars that powerful. When I ordered
Shaw and Tenney oars for our Trinka I was advised against getting long
oars with scoops because they were overkill. I forget the exact
argument, but they claimed it would be counter-productive. We got 8.5
foot symmetrical oars, and allow them to get ratty enough so they
don't represent an attractive target.

The oarlocks are circular and captive by the leathers, so they can be
secured by running a cable through them. I don't bother for daylight
use, but for those rare (and getting rarer) occasions when we might
close the bar, its nice to know they won't be borrowed.

Skip Gundlach wrote:
I'm taking delivery of my bote tomorrow. If I'm successful, I'll have
converted it to sculling (10' carbon fiber oars with shovel scoop ends)
sometime in the next few days (stay tuned for pictures in the gallery).
Those oars are worth half what the boat is...

How do any of you who have such an issue secure your oars from theft?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain