Danny

Default Boat Broker Question ...

Larry: Are you a lawyer or broker?

I'm a commercial realtor and former boat broker. This initial post is based
on some common misconceptions and incorrect assumptions. Larry's post was
spot on. It's behavior expressing a healthy fear of litigation. Most of said
litigation is due to ill-informed buyers that have the wrong expectations of
brokers and then sue because they bought said "POS." The sellers / buyers
need to better understand the representation brokers offer.

We are paid for our contacts, our ability to find/warehouse/catalog
opportunities, our product knowledge and then our ability to negotiate the
best deal for whomever we represent. If Billy Boater has me as a buyer's
agent working for him, I negotiate the best possible deal or steer him to a
better one. If I represent the owner, he gets the best price for his
possession from Billy Boater's wallet. I do it better than Billy.

Brokers are far from drains on the sales cycle. They match buyers, sellers,
their products and prices in a way that the average citizen alone could
never duplicate.

There are lots of exceptions and I'll bet I hear from them soon. :-)

..
"Larry" wrote in message
"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in

I don't know,,, maybe is me but I really think boat brokers are a
dishonest bunch.

What are your thoughts.

If a seller, including car dealers/boat brokers/vacuum cleaner salesmen,
makes any kind of statement as to the condition of or use of a product,
including USED product, they create what the law says is an "Implied
Warranty" that the product will do what they say it will. There are two,
the "Implied Warranty of Merchantability" and the "Implied Warranty of
Suitability for a Particular Purpose". The first warranty says the boat
is in fine condition and is ready to sell to you. If he opens his mouth
and says it's ready-for-sea, he's opened himself up to be sued under the
law if it isn't. The second warranty is if he tells you this is the
perfect boat for your family of 6 for vacations. He has created an
implied warranty of suitability for a particular purpose, your vacation.

If he keeps his mouth shut and tells you nothing, and because it has no
written warranty, the implied warranties don't exist and it's YOUR fault
you bought the POS boat with the leaky fittings that sank at the slip.

If you get a survey, it's the surveyor's fault, not the broker's....

It's why they are so closed mouth. Wouldn't you keep your mouth shut,
too?

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht..._15_10_50.html

They'd all rather you didn't know anything about either of these
websites...(c;