Thomas Wentworth

Default Boat Broker Question ...

Hey, Larry, that was pretty good. Interesting reading.

The surveyor; I was just reading a survey and the surveryor basically says
"this is what I found with the vessel, might be a bunch of other stuff wrong
but I didn't find that stuff, so have a nice day and good luck".

The broker; "I know nothing .. I am a boat broker who does nothing and
knows nothing and really shouldn't exist on the planet".

The buyer; "holy ****, there is water coming into the boat ... oh my god,
we are sinking ,,, the keel has fallen off ... the mast just fell into the
sea ... the cabin roof is collapsing .. the engine is on fire .... the
radio doesn't work .... "

Later:

"Family lost off coast in sailboat"

===================================

One thing this tells you ... when it is offer time. Be careful.

All the risk is on the buyer. So, the buyer should take this into
consideration when making an offer.

"Larry" wrote in message
"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in

I don't know,,, maybe is me but I really think boat brokers are a
dishonest bunch.

What are your thoughts.

If a seller, including car dealers/boat brokers/vacuum cleaner salesmen,
makes any kind of statement as to the condition of or use of a product,
including USED product, they create what the law says is an "Implied
Warranty" that the product will do what they say it will. There are two,
the "Implied Warranty of Merchantability" and the "Implied Warranty of
Suitability for a Particular Purpose". The first warranty says the boat
is in fine condition and is ready to sell to you. If he opens his mouth
and says it's ready-for-sea, he's opened himself up to be sued under the
law if it isn't. The second warranty is if he tells you this is the
perfect boat for your family of 6 for vacations. He has created an
implied warranty of suitability for a particular purpose, your vacation.

If he keeps his mouth shut and tells you nothing, and because it has no
written warranty, the implied warranties don't exist and it's YOUR fault
you bought the POS boat with the leaky fittings that sank at the slip.

If you get a survey, it's the surveyor's fault, not the broker's....

It's why they are so closed mouth. Wouldn't you keep your mouth shut,
too?

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht..._15_10_50.html

They'd all rather you didn't know anything about either of these
websites...(c;