posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,uk.rec.waterways,rec.boats.building
Glenn A. Heslop

Default Fuel Filter

Well...it seems that just because one draws off the water/contaminates from
the bottom of the fuel filter bowl, doesn't mean that one should just let it
drain into the bilge. Draining it into a cup/bottle (i.e. that won't 'melt'
from the diesel fuel). Also, Diesel is significantly different from
Petrol/Gasoline...one can pretty much put out a cigarette in diesel while
this is not very adviseable with gasoline.

Glenn.

"Tony Brooks" wrote in message

"Ron White" wrote in message
. ..
The link the Chuck sent you is a good place to get a top of the line

fuel
filter/water separator set up. Since you have already thought about the
concerns of the plastic bowl set-up, no more needs to be said except

that
metal blows are available from Racor as you can see. However, there some
other alternatives. It sounds like you already have filter separators,

the
transom mounted spin-ons are usually 10 micron filters/ water separators
that function the same as the spin-on Racor replacement elements. ( am
referring to the Racor elements that will screw on to your existing
heads).
The main difference in their functionality is the Racor's ability to be
drained via a pet cock. With your existing spin-ons you can just spin

them
off and dump them in a bucket. If you do this, be sure to put the

elements
back on ASAP as the rubber gaskets starts to swell quickly once removed
making their refitting a problem.
But what I would be most concerned about is what is causing the water
problem in the first place? Maybe you have an above deck poly tank? if

so,
then pay some attention the vent. If it can be closed, then close it

while
not underway. If the tank is constantly being splashed with water then
something to deflect the splash, maybe have some vinyl tank covers made

or
maybe some simple plywood covers like an inverted box that could also be
used as a seat?. I think with some "looking into" you will find a better
solution than just being able to more conveniently drain a bowl. Anyway,

don't think better(more expensive) filters are necessarily the answer to
the
problem.

--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

And if all else fails try a "water removing" diesel additive. I am not

sure
what it will do to the carbs (if the engine is not injected), but if it

gets
water through diesel filters then I recon it will pass it straight through

petrol fuel system.

If your filter/water separator has a drain plug on it, it should an almost
daily routine to draw a sample to see how much water is in the bowl. The
only think is that I do not think I would like petrol fumes sloshing about
in the bottom of the boat, but I assume its open without sparks &
flames, so it is not as bad as in an enclosed boat.

--
Tony Brooks
www.TB-Training.co.uk