thunder

Default Not for wussie boaters...

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:32:50 -0800, Garth Almgren wrote:

http://www.uscg.mil/pacarea/polarsea/home.htm

"Polar Sea, and its sister ship Polar Star are two of the largest ships in
the U.S. Coast Guard and the world's most powerful non-nuclear
icebreakers. With a length of 399 feet and a displacement of 13,500 tons,
Polar Sea is designed to move continuously through six feet of ice at a
speed of three knots."

This post peaked my interest in nuclear icebreakers. I did a little
reading on the Russian icebreaker Yamal, also an impressive ship. I found
it quite interesting that it will never make it to Antarctica. Seems that
it needs cold water to cool it's reactor, and, therefore, can't cross the
warm waters of the equator.

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarc...ce_breaker.htm

Some great Antarctica photos:
http://www.uscg.mil/pacarea/polarsea...ica_photos.htm