Garth Almgren

Default Not for wussie boaters...

Around 2/14/2006 6:01 PM, wrote:

POLAR STAR REACHES ANTARCTICA
MCMURDO STATION, Antartica - The Coast Guard Cutter Polar Star arrived
in McMurdo Station, Antarctica Monday, after a non-stop 8,200 nautical
mile transit from its homeport of Seattle.

More fun but fairly useless trivia:

That's the ship my old Scoutmaster (the one who was quartered at the
Mukilteo Lighthouse) served on for a time as a Petty Officer. The flag
of my Scout troop was, back in '96 or so, the only BSA flag to have
visited both magnetic poles.

He arranged for us Scouts to have a tour of the Polar Star during her
"off" season. Let me say, that was (and I'm sure still is) a mighty
impressive icebreaker! As is her sister ship, the Polar Sea.

http://www.uscg.mil/pacarea/polarsea/home.htm

"Polar Sea, and its sister ship Polar Star are two of the largest ships
in the U.S. Coast Guard and the world's most powerful non-nuclear
icebreakers. With a length of 399 feet and a displacement of 13,500
tons, Polar Sea is designed to move continuously through six feet of ice
at a speed of three knots."

Some great Antarctica photos:
http://www.uscg.mil/pacarea/polarsea...ica_photos.htm

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing