JohnH

Default IN NATIONAL INTEREST

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:58:01 -0500, Black Dog wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Calif Bill wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

Calif Bill wrote:

I do not think people should smoke. Nasty, ill habit. But that
does not stop me from investing in a stock. I look after the
bottom line, not just "Social Investing".

Your support of any activity that helps tobacco companies impacts
your bottom line in a negative way, even if you think your
investments in those companies somehow serve you well.

It is a legal enterprise. Freedom of choice and the dividend is
very good.

Yes, well, you apparently don't get it, and I'm not referring to
"social investing." Your support of cigarette companies helps
maintain a FINANCIAL burden against all of society, public and
private, one that costs ALL Americans, directly and indirectly tens
of billions of dollars each year in medical insurance premiums,
uninsured costs that must be recovered somehow, lost work and
productivity because of illness, and so forth and so on, ad infinitum.

The taxes on tobacco take in a lot more than is ever spent on health
care for the smokers. Tobacco as well as other "Sin taxes" have
become a cash cow for governments.

Good lord. I joke from time to time about the rationalizations of the
righties, and here you are, providing an example.

Good lord, Harry. I know it doesn't work that way down there, but do
you really think we could afford our health care system up here in
Canada without tobacco money?

True, with privatized medicine, you 'merikens are getting ripped off,
big time. At least when I plunk down $10 for a pack of smokes I know
I'm helping pay for that Cancer Treatment Centre on the other side of town.

Stella

We need to break you of that habit. This past Christmas was my fourth year
of not smoking. In fact, here are my stats:

This is to CERTIFY that:

JOHN L. HERRING

Has neither smoked nor puffed a single cigarette for: Four years, one
month, two weeks, six days, 16 hours, 19 minutes and 21 seconds. This means
he has not lit 75633 cigarettes, and has saved $11,345.10. The additional
time he has to spend his daughters' inheritance is about: 37 weeks, 3 days,
14 hours, and 45 minutes.

Don't you love it?
--
'Til next time,