posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.outdoors.camping
rick

Default Kayaking Advice Please

"Steve Hix" wrote in message
In article
.com,
"BeeRich" wrote:

Quick question for Steve. Where do you store them if yer
packed up for
a long haul trip? We considered wheels because portaging
seriously
reduces our choices for tripping. I can't stand portaging,
and refuse
to do multi trips per portage.

On the off chance I'm the Steve in question...

The Rolleeze wheels come apart; the frame folds and the wheels
come off.
The frame fits in her Njak's rear compartment, in either of my
T16's
holds.

If we're packing a lot of stuff, the frame can stay on the rear
deck;
it's light, not hard to tie down. (A Paddleboy should work
about the
same.) There's lots of room in the cockpit in front of her feet
to store
the wheels, and in mine, for that matter.

We'll likely be visiting #1 Daughter in Minnesota this summer,
and her
husband's uncle wants, as usual, to head up to the Boundary
Waters area
for a couple of days. We'll probably pack the wheels and rent
kayaks for
that trip, rather than trying to ship our sea kayaks by air
when we go.

Haven't really looked at using the Rolleze with our Puffin
folders,
which we took with us as check-in baggage last summer. I
suspect they're
not stiff enough to make it worth trying. They are a little
flexy on the
water; they wouldn't be very happy loaded up and being carried
or
wheeled, I suspect.

Portage wheels are allowed only on the Prairie portage, Four Mile
portage, Fall-Newton-Pipestone portage, and Back Bay portages
into Basswood Lake and Vermillion-Trout. On the interior they
are a violation.