posted to rec.boats.building
Don Dando

Default Dual output alternator?

"Voltage Reducers" are not all that they might seem to be. Different sizes
are required for different loads. A miss rated size could damage a 12 V
item.

If I had the issue to deal with I'd install a 12V system in addition to the
existing 24 V system. A simple single wire 12V alternator only requires a
ground wire to the battery -, and the single positive lead to the battery
+. Mechanical mounting then becomes the only challenge.

If your engine's electrical system is 24V you can run the 12 V system dead
and still get home!

Don Dando

CyberSam wrote in message
I have a requirement for both 12V DC system and a 24V DC system.
Is it possible to charge both from a single alternator? Or should I use a
Voltage Reducer to power my 12V load from my 24V batteries?

Thanks for your inputs!