Dene

Default Health insurance, again

Skip, I'm a health insurance broker, so I'll do my best. Read below...

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at gmail dotcom wrote in message
Well, the time is approaching, and just as before when we thought we'd be
leaving soon, life has interrupted (or at least complicated matters).

To shorten the story, following a stress test and immediate

catheterization
a week ago, I now have 3 stents in my heart artery having been, and
remaining, regardless, asymptomatic of any problem. I'm going to work on
the boat again in a couple of days, and still do my physical therapy for

my
arm, so nothing has changed in that regard. As quickly as my shoulder
objective is reached, we're outta here.

Lydia, when we leave, of course, won't have the insurance which has made
dealing with what's turned out to be a pile of horsepucky on my part
possible. The surgeon is adamant that we should do COBRA when she leaves
and maintain health insurance for quite some time. He also wants me to

have
a followup stress test as late as possible before we leave or 6 months

from
now, whichever comes first. It's our expectation that to COBRA would

nearly
double our cruising budget - which, probably needless to say, changes
matters rather drastically. And, of course, that's only available for a
(relatively) short period of time, in any case.

Through who's employment does the COBRA come from, yours or hers. If it's
yours, then you can maintain it yourself and let Lydia acquire coverage with
an individual plan.

Worse, we don't expect to be in the US waters more than fleetingly, and

then
only peripherally, i. e. Puerto Rico and the US Virgins, as we expect to
cruise the Caribbean.

Lo these 7 years ago, when I started researching via reading this group

and
others, long before even looking for a boat, I recall a highly regarded
English company insuring Americans for everywhere other than the US, for
some pittance. Of course, now, (now) with my history, we may have some
great difficulty receiving insurance, at all.

Lloyds of London, through Petersen International. It's been years since I
sold a policy but I'm fairly certain there are health underwriting
questions, which will exclude you.

However, to the point of the post, what's folks' recommendations for

health
insurance in non-US waters (expected to be Caribbean only for the

forseeable
future, but that includes a slow work-down of the thorny path, perhaps

some
significant time in the Bahamas for starters)?

Blue Cross does a nice job but it will be tricky getting you on to their
plans unless you happen to have Cobra through them.

Are you approaching 65? If so, brand new ball game. (a better one).

-Greg