Don White

Default Is sailing becoming extinct?

You must be catching up to this area.
Because new sailboats are so expensive, and there was a real glut of
sailboats dumped on the market in the70's and 80's,
few new boats are seen. Sailors just keep trading the existing fleet around.
This year seems to be an exception. The talk around the club is the half
dozen new Beneteau boats bought by members.
Some costing $ 225k Cdn.

Yesterday, after suffering high humidity laying a new tile floor in my
kitchen, I rebelled and told the wife I was going sailing.
The skipper and another crewmember were moving the Mirage 33 down the coast
to the next harbour, preparing for the day trip to Chester Race Week in
Mahone Bay.
Fog had been laying off the coast all summer and when a large bulk carrier
disappeared in front of our eyes at the harbour mouth I knew we were in for
it.
We have no radar, so we used my Garmin 315 GPS to keep track of where we
were and an outdated chart to find our buoys.
Man, that fog was thick! At times we could see3 or 4 boat lengths
ahead...that is when I wiped the condensation off my glasses. The up
side...it was cool.... beautiful refreshing coolness.
We got there and tied up at the private mooring of a friend who taught me
the 'Boating Course' at the Power Squadron.