LD

Default 1982 evinrude 25 lower unit swap and operating temperture qusetion

Are you sure yours is an '82? I have an '81 (J25RCIM) which I've been told
on several occasions that it's the last year before the through prop
exhaust.
If you do get the through prop exh let me know what you want for the "old"
foot and gears. I use mine for duck hunting and am a little rough on it.
LD

"mike" wrote in message
om...
I have an old 25 hp evinrude outboard. I want to remove the 5 inch
extension to shorten the shaft. To use my current lower unit, I need
a drive shaft and I have to install the drive shaft. I don't know how
to seal the lower unit and put every thing back together. I was
wondering what lower units will swap out. I also want a lower unit
with through prop exhaust.
My other question is about how to measure operating temperture.
I know its around 170, but there is no overheat warning horn. What is
an easy way to measure the temperture. They have plastic sticks that
melt but I cant find them easily. What can I use to check the
temperture easily to get an idea if I need to change the water pump
and thermostat.