krj

Default water tank repair-west system epoxy or fiberglass resin

Matt O'Toole wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:39:41 -0500, krj wrote:

I need to repair a leaking seam on my fiberglass water tank. Somewhere I
think I read not to use epoxy in a water tank. Is this correct? Should
only fiberglass resin be used inside a fresh water tank? krj

You can certainly do this as long as best practices are followed, so you
don't wind up with epoxy residues in your water. This is nothing to mess
around with though.

There's an article about it here, under Boat Repair and Restoration:

http://www.epoxyworks.com/indexprojects.html

Think carefully about how much this project is really going to cost
you in labor and materials, even your own labor. To really do it right
is a lot of work. An "expensive" polyethylene tank may start to look
cheap. Bladder-style tanks can be a good solution too.

Matt O.

I'm not trying to build a new tank, just repair an existing tank. The
tank is an intragal part of the V-berth built if fiberglass with
gelcoat. The bottom "V" seam of the tank has a small crack that drips
water. I just want to put a couple of wide strips of cloth over the seam
to repair the crack. Just wanted to know wheather to use fiberglass
resin or epoxy. I have lots of West Systems epoxy I am using for other
repairs.
krj