posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.outdoors.camping
Steve Hix

Default Kayaking Advice Please

In article ,
"Rick Donnelly" wrote:

"Shrink" wrote in message

...stuff from previous post deleted

Portaging singles isn't terribly difficult. You can take 2 at a time (if the
terrain is at all forgiving), and you probably don't need to unload
everything, just the heavy stuff, especially if you are taking plastic boats
(which don't hold their shape as well as fibreglass under stress). I found
that you need the smaller gear for handy packing (single burner stoves,
etc.), but that isn't all that bad, since you can carry multiple of them. It
just runs into more money to pack efficiently. The redundant gear, however,
means that you can't carry as much as you would in a canoe, which is pretty
forgiving about how much you put into it. That said, I'd prefer to paddle
singles and don't understand those that prefer doubles. I can remember how
the person doing the steering often has to make the front paddler
uncomfortable in order to navigate in tight quaters. My wife didn't like
that much at all .

My wife has set down the law: no doubles. She wants to go where she
wants to go, and doesn't necessarily want to wait for me to get there.

Then too, there is the steering issue. Actually, it's mostly the
steering issue.

She deals with portaging by using wheels (Rolleeze, for her kayak).

Works for us.