Rural Knight

Default What Size Motor

"John-R W" wrote in message
Hi All,

First time boat owner, so I don't really know too much about them.

I just got a 1988 Falcon Striper Pro boat. Needs some cleaning up, and

some
work done to it, it also needs a motor and controles. My question is what
size motor should I consider putting on it.

I plan to just use it for fishing in the local lakes. We are not

interested
in using it to ski or going supper fast. I would like for the motor to

have
enough power to get me off the lake quickly in the event of a storm

blowing
up.

I realize the boat is rather old, but I made what I think to be a pretty
good deal when I bought it, so I don't have a lot of money tied up in it
right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Anywhere from 50 to 90 is probably acceptable. Might
take a while to get on plane, but with the right prop, that
can be fixed You can also add those Dolfins or whatever
they are called which also help a lot.

As you aren't looking for speed, that's probably what
you are looking at.

However (ain't there always?)

See what the data plate on the boat says - every boat has
and that will tell you what the max is. To be totally safe
and comfortable, put the max engine on the boat that
the data plate says to. You can go 25 under and still
have a boat which will plane quickly, but max is always
the way to go.

Later,

Tom