JohnH

Default AllofMyMP3?

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:38:23 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 21:00:46 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 17:28:00 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

Anyone familiar with allofmymp3.com?

It appears to be a Russian-based service where music may be downloaded
for small sums of money, especially when compared to Apple's iTunes or
Napster.
Well, it's legal in Canada (so's Napster and other ptp networks). Sound
quality is good, but the selection isn't the greatest, especially for
"less than popular" cuts.

Lloyd Sumpter

Thanks. The "new" Napster isn;t compatible with my portable player, but
I checked it out and it also charges about 99 cents a "tune," just like
Apple's iTunes.

A little more info for you:

http://www.onlinereporter.com/TORbac...0to%20 Russia
Copyright Enforcement Comes to Russia

Russian authorities are reportedly investigating the Russian Web site
Allofmymp3.com for selling downloadable digital copies of copyrighted music
illegally. The site's principles are believed to be offering the music both
in Russia and internationally without the authorization of the rights
holders. The Computer Crimes unit of Moscow City Police, which was doing
the investigation, turned the investigation's report over to Moscow's City
Prosecutor's office on February 8.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), on behalf
of its members, also submitted a formal complaint to the prosecutor's
office on the same day, urging prosecution. The prosecutor has 30 days from
the date of receiving evidence to decide whether to proceed with a criminal
prosecution.

IFPI's complaint alleges that Allofmp3.com has not been licensed to
distribute its members' repertoire in Russia or internationally. IFPI
Moscow regional director Igor Pozhitkov said, "We have consistently said
that Allofmp3.com is not licensed to distribute our members' repertoire in
Russia or anywhere else. We are pleased that the police are bringing this
important case to the attention of the prosecutor. We very much hope and
expect that the prosecutor will proceed with this case, which involves the
sale and digital distribution of copyrighted music without the consent or
authorization of the rights holders."

IFPI, headquartered in London, has a regional office in Moscow plus others
in Brussels, Hong Kong and Miami. The Miami office covers Central and South
America. The organization has 1,450 members in 75 countries and affiliated
industry associations in 48 countries. Back to Headlines

There, now you know.
--
'Til next time,

John H

Know what, that a cut-rate music service is under investigation? News, eh?

Yes!

We'll see what the Moscow authorities do. I've not heard of the IFPI. It
looks like it is an organization that doesn't actually produce anything
other than lawsuits and support for spyware like SONY's DRM.

What the music industry needs is a copyright pricing structure that
fairly compensates the actual producers of music AND doesn't rip off
consumers of that product...and they don't have it yet.

If you believe that the sale and purchase of bootlegged material is the way
to get your retribution for the industry's pricing structure, go for it.

If, as you say, there are only two or three songs on a CD that you like,
pay the $3 to a legitimate outfit (Napster, for example) and buy the songs.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****