rhys

Default Deposit requirements

On 8 Feb 2006 12:41:32 -0800, "
wrote:

Thanks in advance for any clarifications,

Philippe

You are the seller. Tell potential buyers that they have a window of
one week in which to inspect the boat and to bring any and all
surveyors aboard, but that the week in question will be arranged by
you and if they fail to show, too bad.

If you have two buyers, have them submit sealed bids.

Obviously, if you MUST sell the boat, you will have to assume whatever
position causes the least discomfort...but a four-week "exclusionary"
window seems an extravagant request.

I am toying with buying a boat in the spring. Another party is
interested in the same boat. I suggested we all get together in May
for a sail test. I don't care if the other buyer is present, but I
will bring along a couple of my very knowledgable friends.

If I pursue it, I will pay for a survey, and offer accordingly.

My last boat was done on a handshake and a firm offer after a sail
test, because the owner had a recent survey handy. I've had few bad
surprises, and the ones the survey showed allowed me to drive the
price down 25%

R.