posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.outdoors.camping
Shrink

Default Kayaking Advice Please

Great advice!! Thanks a lot - i'll go check out MEC and see what they have
in stock. I will also check out some of the local rental places to find out
if they are selling any of their singles.

"BeeRich" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Shrink. You are facing what I faced about 6 years ago. I loved my
canoeing, having done several Ontario trips. I studied solo canoeing
at my summer camp for two years and got quite far with it. I highly
enjoy a canoe and what it brings. I also have traveled in a Grumman on
a 7 day trip.

My buddy insisted I try kayaks, and thankfully I had an open mind about
it. I've never turned back. Kayaking offers a different experience
that has many benefits:

- faster travelling means farther tripping per day
- more agile experience in places where shallow or disturbed waters can
be increasingly approached and enjoyed
- introduction to other types of kayaking such as whitewater
- less transport challenges for kayaking, due to smaller boats
- You are much lower to the water and if you are an 'eco' person,
you'll get a kick out of being closer to the waterline

My suggestions:

Go to MEC and rent individual kayaks. They are downtown Halifax. We
used them two summers ago when we kayaked Cape Breton & Peggy's Cove.
Two areas I wouldn't have challenged in a canoe. We saw seals and
sharks. Coastal waterways just ask for kayaks, East and West. There
should be other outfitters in Halifax or NS that you could visit.

Take your tent to a camping site just South of Peggy's Cove, not 7 km
South. It will be on your left side, on the water. Park your tent
directly on the water, and paddle into Peggy's Cove, and further South,
as it gets interesting.

I've not used tandems, but I think that would be a bit limiting. We've
always had our own kayaks. We enjoy racing amongst the rocks at
Tobermory from time to time.

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=83365166&size=l