Larry DeMers

Default Absolute must read!

It was not always so however. It used to be that there was more of
a sense of community responsibility, or public spirit or morality -call
it whatever. It was the force that said profit is ok, but putting the
guy out of business and laying off folks is not. It said that part of
the magazine can be dedicated to an ideal other than the dollar bill.

As a general example, I cite "Cruising World". In 1976, when I
startd collecting them, the magazine was practically wall to wall
cruising stories, all interesting, all written with a layer of wonder at
this fairly new occupation (cruising). It was interesting and vital.

But enter one competitor who decides to allow in 10 extra pages of
charter crap, thus helping his bottom line, and the game is on. C/W had
to follow suit to appease their bottom line. Competition sees the need
to compete with more advertising etc etc etc.

Competition takes over mindlessly, and now we have the slick and
worthless C/W.

Larry

Dave wrote:
On 3 Feb 2006 08:53:57 -0800, "Bob" said:

The
editors are profit motivated and want to sell advertising space.

A person in business motivated by profit? I'm shocked. Shocked.

What happened to the knight in shining armor motivated only to do good
deeds? And what about his sidekick riding the donkey?