Matt Lang

Default Does onw need a blower ???

Folks,

I posted another thread about my Merc 1250 ... now a few questions
about the boat... I Must say that my boat experience consists of 2
years with a 14 ft/25 HP inflatable ..

Now I bought a 18.5 ft fiberglass boat from an estate sale, its a
70ies model ... brand is VSonic or something like it ...

I read that one should run blowers to vent the gas tank area before
starting the motor.... the boat has airintakes facing forward and
backwards, so once the boat drives it gets ventilated. Is it
necessary to install a fan to blow air in BEFORE starting? Can this be
a simple fan or would that just add sparks from electrics and blow
everything up?

The boat has a drain plug in the stern. It doesnt have a valve, from
my inflatable I am used to leaving the drainplugs always open, but
they are checkvalves and as soon as it drives all the water comes out.

Are fiberglass boats different? Do you only open the plug on land and
close it in the water? If you do get some water do you just pump it
out? Should I retrofit a pump? Or should I put in a checkvalve Whats
the best for this kind of boat?

Any advice appreciated

Matt