andrew m. boardman

Default How to get experience so that I can escape?

rhys wrote:
I like the older cruiser books and guides, because they did it without
GPS, refrigeration, current charts or even Dacron sails in some cases.

The best in this vein (in my opinion, which is surely different from
everyone else's) is 'Yacht Cruising' by Claude Worth. The technology is
early 20th century, the culture described at times is charmingly
different, but the essentials of seamanship are unchanging.

I believe the later editions added material up through 1934, but I'm not
sure of that part. The local libraries have a smattering of the earlier ones.