Capt. JG

Default Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

Logs dive. Actually, I think it would dive, depending on the speed it was
towed. It would surface immediately, but that would put a lot of strain on
the line.... hmmm...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Gary" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 17:12:39 GMT, Gary wrote:

The only thing that I can think of that would be of concern is it
flipping over in a seaway and diving.

Flipping over is a matter of "when", not "if". It would be good no
know in advance how it will react after it flips. I've had 2 towed
inflatables flip over, once with a 65 lb outboard
motor on the back, and 1 fiberglass dinghy capsize while being towed.
It happens with amazing speed under the right conditions, and it
doesn't have to be especially rough. I see no reason to think that a
kayak is immune.

I don't think the kayak would be immune to flipping. I am interested in
what it does after flipping. Unlike a hardshell dinghy, it won't fill
with water or behave like a drogue. Unlike a zodiac it shouldn't start to
come apart. The kayak can't fill with water and will either dive or just
flip back again. Remember, it is more like a log than a boat.

Gary