Billgran

Default Why Optimax is not true DFI

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message

Bill,
As someone who does have detailed knowledge of Ficht with a larger than
average data base, have you found Ficht or Etec to have more than the
average problems? Is there any truth to the problem that some of Ficht
engines had problems related to trolling for extended periods?

Reggie,

About 8 years ago, in FICHT's 2nd year of production, the 1998 models of the
150 and 175hp had problems. I did not see these with my customers as we
setup the boats and ran them for an hour before delivering them. We did the
intital breakin and double checked for the correct prop. I did see problem
motors from other dealers that sent their customers to the dealership for
which I work. The '98 and '99 150-175 series had factory teams going around
the country installing upgrade kits and redesigned cylinder heads. In some
applications, the motors were troublesome, they were the ones with the 25"
shaft. The boat magazines wrote many articles on the problems and what the
factory was doing for fixes. At the same time in 1999, the 90-115 V4 FICHTS
and the 200-225 V6 FICHTS did NOT have the problems or bad reputation of the
150-175 hp versions. In 2000 the FICHT was redesigned and called FICHT Ram,
and that system is still being produced today. The 2000 and later FICHTS are
really good motors, that got even better when Bombardier took over the 2002
and later production.

There are months of reading about these if you want to spend your time
using Google, Yahoo, boating forums, etc. The problematic 150-175 motors
cast the bad name on all FICHTS and with misinformation that goes around the
Internet and the ignorance of the motors by some folks, 8 years later FICHT
has a bad connotation, something like Bayliner still having their stigma.

Do your research and be sure to check the credentials of anyone when you
read their posts. Almost every "nay-sayer" has never owned, worked on, been
around, or even has a grasp of the engine.

About the E-TECs, they are super motors and are proving themselves on crab
boats, commercial fishing boats, law enforcement, SeaTow, etc. We have
almost no warranty problems and much fewer problems than we do with
Yamaha's.

Bill Grannis
service manager