Ken Heaton

Default Ocean Kayak and 27footer: store / tow

Tried this last year for a weekend. Bigger sailboat, perhaps smaller
kayaks. Good results.

We were out for the weekend on a C&C 35 Mk. I and took two friends and their
two rotomold kayaks, about 16 or 17 feet long. They fit on deck on edge
between the shrouds and the cabin top. They made it a bit more difficult to
go forward to tend to bow lines, sails, etc. but not too big a deal. You
had to pay more attention to the jib sheets when tacking as once a sheet
hooked under a kayak, forcing us to tack back to clear it. This was all in
protected waters, the Bras d'Or Lakes, and in generally good weather with
wind in the 10 to 20 knot range. We did try towing briefly but they track
too well, going off in one straight line until jerked onto another straight
line, rather annoying wandering around behind like that. I think the
painters wouldn't have lasted very long.

We were really glad we had brought the kayaks along as they were great for
exploring once we were tucked into an anchorage for the evening and in the
morning so our guests could have a little privacy and "sleep in."

As Steve says, my experience for what it's worth...
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

wrote in message
oups.com...

Does anyone have experience either storing an
ocean kayak (closed, sit on top variety) on a 27
foot sailboat, or towing it behind?

What are your experiences? Doable? Horrible?
Good idea?

Thanks!