posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.outdoors.camping
John Weiss

Default Kayaking Advice Please

"Shrink" wrote...
I have no experience with kayaks and would like to continue tripping. My
children are 8 and 10 years of age - both of whom have had some experience
kayaking up at summer camp. Since I am so near the ocean I would love to be
able to do some trips along the coast but realize we would need sea kayaks.
All that backround covered, here are my questions:

I had little canoeing experience when I took up kayaking a few years ago at near
age 50, but 30+ years of sailing. Now I'm getting ready to sell my last
sailboat, but keep the kayak and the Adirondack Guideboat...

1. For those ex-canoeists who are now ardent kayakers - do you miss it?
What limitations will I experience switching to kayaks vs canoes and what
advantages will I have?

A "sea" kayak will be much more seaworthy than a canoe in swells and waves.
However, a sea/touring/fla****er kayak will not be maneuverable or rugged enough
to use on river rapids. A kayak will not likely carry anywhere as much gear as
a canoe, but that need depends on your tripping habits...

2. Sea vs. river/lake kayak - with 4 of us, I envision either 2 X 2-men
kayaks or 4 single person kayaks. Should I assume that if I want to do both
sea and lake that really ought to just spring for the sea kayaks from the
outset or by lake/river kayaks and just rent when I want to do any ocean
trips? Since I don't plan on major whitewater, I am not concerned about the
maneuverability of the sea kayaks on lakes and rivers unless they are worse
than a canoe (which I doubt).

I think you will be happier with a higher-volume "sea" or "touring" kayak than a
recreational kayak. You will quickly learn to maneuver the kayak so you can
turn it in its own length. Waterline length is conducive to speed for longer
trips, as well as volume for gear-carrying ability.

I think 4 singles will be the best bet. If you are concerned about one of the
kids lagging, you can use a tow harness occasionally to help propel him/her...

3. Would you suggest 4 single kayaks, 1 double and 2 singles, 2 doubles?
Pros and cons of doubles vs. singles?

Doubles: Heavy. Many do not paddle well single-handed. May be faster due to
length, but the slowest boat will be your limiting factor. Two doubles fit on a
car top; 4 singles do not...

Singles: Maneuverable. Can be more easily "customized" for the individual
user.

4. Lastly, can anyone give some suggestions as to mid-range brands of boats
to consider/avoid and if you know of any retailers in Nova Scotia?

I built mine (Pygmy Coho) from a kit. Pygmy and Chesapeake Light Craft may be
the 2 best known kit builders in the US, but there are others. Epoxy over
plywood is actually stronger and lighter than fiberglass or rotomolded plastic,
and there is a certain satisfaction in the building process... You may also
find a few used ones on the market, and either of those companies will build it
for you (for a price...).