Thomas Wentworth

Default Great Lakes Question

Jeff,,, from what I have leaned so far; Lake Huron flows into Lake St
Clair by way of the St Clair river. After Lake St Clair there is another
river [ I am using a road map ] which looks like the Detroit River. That
flows into Lake Erie. After going east on Lake Erie all the way to near
Buffalo, then there is the Welland Canal. The Welland Canal connects Lake
Erie with Lake Ontario. Before this canal was built, the Trent Severn was
"the" canal.

The Trent Severn Canal looks really interesting. It goes from Port Severn,
Ontario which is the southeast shore of Georgian Bay all the way to Trenton,
Ontario which is on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario about directly across
from Oswego, NY.

This is "definitely" the route to follow if possible.

If you take the Trent Severn Canal you can bypass Lake Erie, Lake St Clair,
the Detroit River, and a big part of Lake Huron. Once you make it to Lake
Ontario you can go up the St Lawrence Seaway all the way to the Atlantic
ocean or cross Lake Ontario and take the Erie/NY State / Canal by way of the
Oswego Canal. This will take you all the way to the Hudson River.

I am going to look into the Trent Severn Canal. The boat has a 5'2" draft.
I don't know whether the canal is deep enough.

You would think that they would keep it to at least 6 plus feet.

More research.

Thomas

Of course, this was done in the late 1950's and 60's. It is part of the St
Lawrence Seaway ..

At the far eastern end of Lake Erie is Buffalo, NY.

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
. ..
The small boat channel goes along the top of Lake Huron and is a very
scenic route. Otherwise you can just shoot across the middle.

I'm thinking of the Canal that bypasses Niagra Falls and is used primarily
by big ships.

Capt. Jeff