Thomas Wentworth

Default Great Lakes Question

Jeff,, thanks for the info.. I did make one call to someone up that way
about the Trent-Severn Canal. She said that there might not be enough water
for the draft of a sailboat. The boat draws 5'2".

If I am reading you right, what you recommend is to come down Lake Huron,
then east to the Trent-Severn. Get into Lake Ontario and cross. Then catch
the Erie Canal to Hudson River.

I will look up the Trent-Severn again. There was a number for a Canadian
Parks guy on one site.

What do you mean by the "small boat channel"? I have never been to Lake
Huron so I just looked at it on a regular map. It looks pretty big!

The Welland Canal.. That is the one near Detroit. I saw a picture and a big
ship was going through. What makes it so hard for recreational boats?

My alternative to all this is TRUCK. But, it might cost a fortune.

Thanks,, Thomas

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
"Tamaroak" wrote in message
I came from the Chesapeake to Lake Superior in a trawler this summer via
the Trent-Severn Canal, which I highly recommend. You'll have to step your
mast to get through the Erie Canal and the Trent-Severn and thus have to
motor across Lake Ontario from Oswego to Trent, but the scenery and people
are fantastic. The North Channel of Lake Huron is the best cruising in
North America, in my opinion, and I've done some of both coasts and Alaska.
The "small boat channel" is especially tricky and beautiful. I have heard
nothing but bad reports about doing the Welland canal in a recreational
boat.

You're crazy to try to singlehand anything in a canal, especially a
sailboat (the Welland requires three people, but I believe you can hire
them there). I would recommend at least six big fenders because you can
never count on which side you will be directed to lock through on, and
it's a bitch to change them at the last minute. We didn't use any
fenderboards and won't again this year.

Look up each canal on the 'net for further information.

Capt. Jeff