Tamaroak

Default Great Lakes Question

I came from the Chesapeake to Lake Superior in a trawler this summer via
the Trent-Severn Canal, which I highly recommend. You'll have to step
your mast to get through the Erie Canal and the Trent-Severn and thus
have to motor across Lake Ontario from Oswego to Trent, but the scenery
and people are fantastic. The North Channel of Lake Huron is the best
cruising in North America, in my opinion, and I've done some of both
coasts and Alaska. The "small boat channel" is especially tricky and
beautiful. I have heard nothing but bad reports about doing the Welland
canal in a recreational boat.

You're crazy to try to singlehand anything in a canal, especially a
sailboat (the Welland requires three people, but I believe you can hire
them there). I would recommend at least six big fenders because you can
never count on which side you will be directed to lock through on, and
it's a bitch to change them at the last minute. We didn't use any
fenderboards and won't again this year.

Look up each canal on the 'net for further information.

Capt. Jeff