Default Towing a boat with a sedan......

K. Smith wrote:
JR North wrote:
Back in the '60's and '70's, My uncle towed a 26ft travel trailer all
over the US with his Chrysler New Yorker. Now THERE was a tow car.
Cheaper, too.
JR
Wonder how much AAMCO would charge to do the trans in the grand Maybach?

wrote:

Looks like somebody still buids a sedan that could tow a fair-sized
boat. Launching might be a problem- would want to use a sling or a
hoist rather than drive into the water with one of these.

But the dealer quoted in this article is nuts. Yes, the car is
expensive- but nowhere near the price range of a new motoryacht:

Land Yacht
First Drive: 2006 Maybach 57 S
By EDMUNDS.COM EDITORS

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

Do you not have a rule there about the towed weight vs the weight of the
tow vehicle??? we do, so unless it's a semi trailer you can't get too
far above the weight of the tower

Only the law of common sense really requires a relationship between the
weight of the tow vehicle and the weight of the trailer in most states
in the US. Even so, at over 6000 pounds this car will outweigh most
full size pickups, (as far as I know), and the majority of
boat/motor/trailer combos as well.

I was about half facetious with the towing claim for this vehicle. It
sounds like it's got plenty of HP and torque, but it must be geared
higher than heck to make the highway speeds the article reported. For a
small to medium size boat this would probably be marginal or OK, but
for the very largest trailer boats nothing beats a 4wd,
1-ton, diesel dually.

Besides, anybody who can afford a $360k car will have no difficulty in
buying a stout truck for boat towing, proabably out of miscellaneous
pocket money.