Don W

Default Will pirates attack more sailboats to take hostages ?

See http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1306875.htm

They let him off with a 3 month sentence, although he could have
gotten the death penalty.

"Former champion yachtsman Chris Packer has spoken about his three
months in an Indonesian prison.
The 52-year-old was released from jail on Saturday after a court in
Denpasar convicted him of firearms offences on Friday.
Mr Packer was found guilty of violating a law relating to not having
declared firearms kept on his vessel, the Lissa."
Mr Packer says he tried not to think of the possibility of receiving the
death penalty while in prison because it was too depressing.
He says he has had bad luck.
"Unlucky to have got in trouble in the first place I think," he said.
"We had no bad intentions or anything like that, so unlucky.
"If I'd declared my guns perhaps I would have had a much better time in
Bali."

A similar news item says that he refused to talk about whether
money was paid to the authorities to secure his release until
he was out of Indonesia.

Don W.

He was convicted and set free, must have been a year ago. Got three
months or something, less time than he'd been in gaol awaiting trial
in any case.

From memory he'd fired some Scottish backpacker who was crewing as a
cook, who retaliated by dobbing him in for alleged gun-running,
terrorism and drug-smuggling. It was all bull****, but the Indonesian
Military turned up in force to investigate and found a couple of
undeclared shotguns and a rifle.

The weapons weer all found to have been documented, God only knows why
he didn't declare them - I'm sure he wishes he had.

His 'yacht' was a 60m freighter, btw.

Ian