trainfan1

Default Smokey 2-stroke

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:15:21 +0000, Bill wrote:

Those were great motors and extremely popular. It is probably the mix

ratio

if it smokes a lot even after it is warmed up but it could be adjusted a
little rich too.

I think it might be worth the investment to get some fresh gasoline and

some

OMC/Johnson/Evinrude 2 cycle oil and mix it accurately to 50:1.

--
Bill Kiene

Lloyd,
I would do what Bill suggested first with the fresh gas and correct oil mixture.
If it still smoke real bad you might want to look at the Carburetors. They may
be loading up causing the rich gas/oil to dump in the cylinders. Remember Gas
burn better then Oil

Bill

Sounds like I should "explore" a too-rich mixture. There's a knob on the front -
does that change mixture at all rpms or just idle (or what DOES it do?)

I want to get some fresh gas, but I'm not sure what to do with the old stuff.
My lawn mower would explode - it's electric!

Lloyd

The knob on the front is a mixture needle for low speed only, the high
speed jets are fixed orifices on that engine.

Dump the old gas into any convenient car or truck. Sure, into a nearly
full tank of fresh gas would be best, but neither you nor the vehicle
will ever notice the difference, and no, your van won't smoke like a
2-stroke.

Rob