DSK

Default (non-political) comments on fuel economy and technology

Calif Bill wrote:
As the wankel engineer told my class in university, that the Wankel is great
if you have no pollution controls. Is basically a dirty engine.

Did he say why?

Reciprocating (piston) engines have a built-in energy loss
on every stroke, when they stop & start the mass of the
piston & connectors going up & down. Reducing that mass
would give a boost in efficency, probably not as great as
the gains in combustion technology nor as great as the gains
from higher operating temps due to improved manufacturing &
metallurgy.

There are other types of positive displacement rotative
engines, the Wankel is just the best known one.

One thing I was very dissapointed that has not come up in
public discussionon energy saving: driving habits. Most
Americans have no clue how to drive for fuel efficiency.
Many don't believe their lead foot has anything to with
their car not reaching it's EPA mileage rating.

DSK