Short Wave Sportfishing

Default Smokey 2-stroke

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:38:45 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:18:39 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:49:45 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter" wrote:

Hi,
(Geez, another boating-related topic! I gotta stop...)

My 1989 Johnson 15hp smokes a lot. It uses so little fuel that I've
forgotten when I fueled up, but I always put in 50:1. Is there other reasons
apart from too much oil in the gas which would make a 2-stroke smoke? Is there
a way to find out what the ratio IS (I might have mis-calculated)? I want to
sell the engine, and it's a Hard Sell when you can't see the engine for smoke
(Koff! Koff!)

It runs fine apart from the smoke.

It the fuel is older, that could be a problem, but the oil may have settled in
the tank - needs to be mixed again - or the rings may need to reseat themselves
(run it for a while) - or the rings may be bad - or the fuel mixture as you
mentioned, but I believe that 50:1 is about right for that vintage.

Hmmmm...why would bad rings make a 2-stroke smoke? It does seem to smoke less
after I've run it for awhile.

To be honest with you, I don't know. I had an '83 70 hp Johnson that
didn't smoke too much, but it was annoying. I also had low
compression one cylinder. Took the thing apart, honed the cylinders,
new rings, back together and no smoke.

I assume it has to do with incomplete combustion, but that's a guess.

Just being honest about it.

Later,

Tom