Jerry Steinbach

Default Great Lakes Question

I haven't done it, however PBO had an article about the canals in NY a
few years ago. There are many bridges that require the mast to be
lowered meaning you need to motor (it's also obviously a bit narrow to
sail) A lot of the seaways have rules requiring boats to be under power
(I think the St Lawrence (sp) Seaway has rules like that - will get you
into lake Ontario)..

Jasper Windvane wrote:
This is a way off, maybe, plan. BUT:

Have any of you experienced cruisers taken a boat [sail, of course] from
Lake Michigan to the Atlantic Ocean? And not by truck! On the water, in
the boat, sailing ............ from Lake Michigan to the Atlantic Ocean.

I might be, maybe, someday .... do this. I was looking at a map of the
region today [ I don't have any charts, yet ].

From what I can gather.... I go up Lake Michigan to the Straits of
Mackinac, south once I am on Lake Huron, to Lake St Clair, Detroit River,
into Lake Erie. I figure there are canals, locks, etc but as I said I don't
have any charts.

Ok,, now I am on Lake Erie. I go east. Take the Welland Canal to Lake
Ontario... am I good to go so far?

Once on Lake Ontario .... what is the best route? Tell me about the St
Lawrence Seaway. I see that the St Lawrence river goes northeast toward
Montreal and then on to the Atlantic. There shipping channels, locks et all
as you sail this route, is it hard in a small sailboat? Is it difficult to
navigate? What about the big ships?

Or, is it better to take the NY canal.

Anyway,, it sure looks like an adventure.

If any of you have done it,,, post your story.

I am interested.

Thanks,,

Jasper